How to stop procrastinating and start living a full life
By Atip Muangsuwan
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex, overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.” – Mark Twain, American author
One of my celebrity clients came to me with her coaching topic: “How can I stop procrastinating?”
We explored her issue about procrastination thru our coaching conversation. She told me that she really wanted to overcome her procrastinating issue because it had been seriously affecting her career and her personal life and causing her to be very stressful.
So, I helped my client explore into the root cause of her procrastinating issue. After we knew what had been causing her to procrastinate in both of her professional and personal lives, we came up with the key strategies to help her solve the issue.
Here are the key strategies that fit for her situation with regards to overcoming her procrastination.
- Create a plan for completing the tasks.
- Use a strategy of ‘Chunk it down’. That means to break complex, overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and prioritize them.
- Then, schedule those tasks into the timetable and set deadlines for them.
- Look at the long-term goals that can be achieved by completing those tasks versus choosing instant gratification like watching YouTube channels, chatting in social media or going out for a drink with friends.
- Discipline yourself.
- Use your strengths to your advantage. For my client, one of her key strengths is self-discipline. So, she would apply her self-discipline to fight against her procrastination.
- Use rewarding mechanism. Reward yourself when you can complete the tasks or can achieve each designated milestone.
A month later, when we met, she told me that her life both professional and personal are totally transformed. Her life is more effective and efficient than before. This is because she can stop procrastinating after applying those strategies.
The key insight I’ve got from this coaching conversation is that… “To stop procrastinating, we need to chunk a big task down into bite-sized tasks, then start working on them one-by-one and right away!”
If you want to experience a transformation in your personal and professional lives like this client of mine did, you can get in touch with me via my homepage for a discovery session @ Home – The Best Coach International (thebest-coach-international.com)
Now or never! So, don’t wait! Stop procrastinating!
To your transformation,